Lead Developer (Back End) for the Kin Foundation
The Kin Foundation
The Kin Foundation is a Canadian nonprofit corporation established for the governance of the cryptocurrency Kin and is tasked with growing an open ecosystem of digital services. Visit the Kin Foundation page to learn more.
We are looking for a skilled developer to join our decentralized team and help lead development for modernizing several key back end technologies. The goal is to support the increasing decentralization of the development and maintenance of Kin SDKs. We will do this by rewriting our APIs and SDK layer to better suit today’s demands and to continue adhering to open source technologies.
Reporting to the Chief Technology Officer, your responsibility will be to design, develop and coordinate the maintenance of our API (Node/TypeScript/NestJS) and maintain several back end SDKs – currently Go, Python and TypeScript/NodeJS, but aiming to move towards Node/TypeScript that communicates with our backend APIs. The SDKs will be in various languages. Our API is currently Go but the new version will be using NestJS (Node + TypeScript). You will be the driver of change, and will coordinate your work and ideas with external contributors (either from the open source community, or outsourced developers).
A list of our current front end and back end SDKs (and code) can be found here: Getting Started · Kin SDK Docs
- Develop and coordinate maintenance of back end code bases
- Manage a suitable bounty system / outsource for some of the code
- Become the “go-to” for technical and development queries
- Become the subject matter expert for the platforms developed
- Liaise with the Developer Advocate and MobileDev to ensure a complete package
- Willing to learn new frameworks and technologies
- Ensure that coding standards are followed and maintained (including code reviews)
- Review/test externally submitted code.
- Can architect complex software systems with Node.js/TypeScript and the NestJS framework
- Advanced experience with RDBMS (Postgres/MySQL) and ORMs
- Experience with Redis/Message Queues.
- Has advanced experience developing and managing services
- Has experience in deploying services (either Docker, Terraform or Kubernetes)
- Be able to maintain high unit test code coverage
- Comfortable maintaining, updating, using CI systems (CircleCI/GitHub Actions)
- Has demonstrated ability to be self sufficient in backend development given broad business requirements
- Strong Git experience including branching & PR workflows (e.g. git-flow)
- Collaborative attitude, Great communicator, problem solver
- Track record as an independent contributor who can take ownership and own initiative
- Working on open source projects
- Has experience working in financial software
- Working on blockchain projects is a plus
- Working experience with publishing Python and Go code.
- Working experience with Prisma ORM.
- Working experience with Nx Workspace.
- Working with big data (BigQuery)
- Experience with Solana Programs (Smart contracts)
- Experience with Rust
Technologies in our stack
SAML / Lastpass
EC2 (ASG, NLB/ALB, EBS)
- Collaborative work culture
- Contribute to the open-source community
- Part of a high-growth project with a significant impact on the ecosystem
- Competitive compensation, coupled with long term cryptocurrency incentives
Job Type: Full-time
Location: Remote (Decentralized)